Dead State is the name of the first project from the studio Double Bear Productions. It was formerly known by the project name ZRPG.
Dead State is a compelling, high-tension RPG set at the beginning of the zombie apocalypse - a deadly illness is rampaging through the world, turning those infected into the walking dead. As society is beginning to fall apart, the player must organize a scant handful of allies, working on fortifying a shelter, scouting for food and supplies, making uncertain alliances with others, and attempting to hold together a group as humanity teeters on the brink of extinction. And although the zombies lurk as an ever present threat, the biggest obstacle to the player may just be other humans with the same goal: survival at any cost.
- A PC RPG with stats, skills, and perks that make a huge difference on your character’s abilities.
- Dozens of characters with branching, reactive dialogue, and randomized events that unfold over months of in-game time – player decisions and the death of loved ones can change relationships drastically.
- Turn-based combat where line-of-sight and noise affect whether you are spotted or not, making for extremely tense encounters.
- Base-building mechanics featuring multiple upgrades, NPC jobs, and item manufacturing.
- Scavenging mechanics that require players to find supplies, weapons, armor, and other items to keep their allies fed and alive.
- A morale system that factors in player success/failure, allies’ faith in the player, and the overall strength of the shelter.
- Crisis Event dialogues that factor in political maneuvering and making difficult choices that affect your whole shelter.
- Reactive AI that responds realistically to combat situations, player commands, and the state of panic from the presence of zombies.
Dead State is currently being developed for PCs, and while the release date is still to be announced, it is expected to have a December 2013 release date.
Players must use certain skills in order to stay alive throughout Dead State. For more information see:
- Main Article: Skills.
- Main Article: Morale.
Morale is one of the major gameplay elements of the game. Players must strive to always be positive and maintain a good morale. Morale is based on different factors including the player's mood. A player's mood is partly determined by their allies. Allies whom are happy have little effect on the players' morale, however as your allies begin to damper their spirits, your player's morale takes a bigger hit